What are the solutions?
Strengthen the Inuit Nunangat food system by working in partnership with Inuit to:
Increase Inuit self-determination over the Inuit Nunangat food system.
- Understand what food sovereignty and self-determination is for Inuit.
- Develop Inuit-led solutions using a distinctions-based Inuit Nunangat policy lens.
- Value the Inuit country food harvesting economy and wildlife management decision-making.
- Ensure that research and evaluation around food systems and food security is based on Inuit priorities and leadership.
Reduce Inuit poverty and implement cost of living measures.
- Assess the adequacy of social assistance programs and create poverty reduction initiatives.
- Address high cost of living and food in Inuit Nunangat with actions that foster economic self-reliance.
Provide supports for families and children, targeting the most vulnerable.
- Improve childhood education and programming through school food programs.
- Identify the most vulnerable and create equitable access to nutritious food for all Inuit.
- Address the short- and long-term impacts of chronic food insecurity on Inuit.
Invest in food security programs and interventions.
- Design effective policy initiatives, food security programs, and interventions with measurable outcomes.
- Explore local food production options aligned with Inuit needs and values.
- Learn from and build on initiatives that are having a positive impact on Inuit food purchasing power.
- Provide direct nutrition assistance with proven benefits for vulnerable Inuit families.
Support harvesting and sharing systems.
- Support local and regional food production and distribution networks.
- Ensure that active participation within the food system is a viable livelihood
- Invest in program models that develop Inuit harvesting knowledge and skills
Address Inuit food system infrastructure deficits.
- Address precarious food supply chains increasingly influenced by climate change.
- Invest in local food storage and processing facilities to improve local food production and emergency food relief efforts.
- Recognize northern air services are essential to Inuit food supply chains.
For more details, please access the full Inuit Nunangat Food Security Strategy available in English, Inuktut Qaliujaaqpait, Inuktut syllabics, and French language versions.
The Strategy is a comprehensive document providing context and background on Inuit food security issues in Inuit Nunangat and outlines close to two dozen actions developed by and for Inuit.