Reporting to a Manager within the Department of Policy Advancement, the Senior Policy Advisor will work towards promoting and improving the place of Canada’s Inuit in a number of policy areas. You will provide recommendations to improve policy and associated outcomes for Inuit and act as a liaison with government departments, Inuit organizations and non-government organizations. You will also coordinate and facilitate designated program activities in cooperation with Inuit regions, ITK staff and federal/provincial/territorial stakeholders and ensure goals and objectives are met.
- Act as a lead on file specific matters as assigned and prioritized by the Manager;
- Draft, edit and produce reports, studies, position papers, policy statements and other documents in relation to assigned policy areas (i.e. health and social development, environment and wildlife, etc.);
- Identify evidence gaps related to assigned policy areas and collaborate with partners to fill these gaps;
- Participate in the development of departmental and organizational strategic, operations and work plans;
- Recommend priority areas of activity for the department and ITK as relevant to the file areas;
- Facilitate and coordinate the efforts of various working groups and committees associated with assigned policy areas;
- Establish and maintain working relationships with National and Regional Inuit Organizations and other agencies;
- Coordinate the management of assignments from start to finish, including budget monitoring, consultation activities, working group/committee work, workshop and videoconference organization and logistics, communications, and various reporting requirements.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Good working knowledge and understanding of a breadth of policy issues as they relate to Inuit in Canada;
- Proven and effective writing, speaking, organization, facilitation, coordination, prioritization and time management skills;
- General research and policy development experience;
- Experience with project management or program development; and
- Experience with partnership development and maintenance.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline: health, health sciences, nutrition, political/social science, environmental sciences, political science, etc. with a minimum of 4 years of related work experience and/or field research in a similar role; OR
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent and a minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in a similar role.